(208) 898-0988
68 S. Baltic Place
Meridian, ID 83642
Mountain Home 
(208) 587-8255
245 N. 3rd E.
Mountain Home, ID 83647

Frequently Asked Questions

Have we lost too much time waiting for her to outgrow her problem?

No, children can benefit from therapy at any time. It is not helpful to regret what you can't change, rather focus on improving the situation now. Many children make faster gains later, because they are more vested in therapy. For example, a school-age child likely understands the difficulty more now than when she was three, therefore she is more likely to participate and be accountable for homework, etc. Therapy tends to happen with an older child rather than to a younger child. The downside, of course, is that there is likely much more that needs to be done because the delay or disorder has become more habituated.

Do I have to have a referral from a physician?

No, you can self refer to speech therapy. However, you may want to check with your insurance provider as they may require a prescription, referral, or prior authorization for your particular policy.

How long will therapy take?

A typical evaluation or therapy session is scheduled for 50 minutes. Occasionally we will schedule a different time slot based on complexity or attention.

Unfortunately, everyone responds differently to therapy, therefore the actual length of your treatment program is unknown. Certainly there are generalizations that can be made and they can be discussed with your clinician following the evaluation where all prognostic indicators can be considered.

Can I come into the therapy session with my child?

Yes! The level of participation you want to have in the therapy session is up to you. Most parents know whether their child will do better or worse if they participate. If you are unable to come in with your child, or choose not to, your clinician will always discuss the session with you and give you homework at pick-up. Parent involvement is critical for carryover and progress in therapy.

Are you doctors? What type of education do you have?

No, we're not doctors. In our clinic, we all have a six-year Master's of Science Degree in Speech-Language Pathology. In addition, we have passed our National Speech Pathology Exam, completed the Clinical Fellowship Year*, are certified by ASHA*, and licensed by the State of Idaho.

* We do employ individuals who are in the process of completing their CFY and ASHA certification.

What does CCC-SLP mean?

Certificate of Clinical Competence-Speech Language Pathologist. These letters indicate that a clinician has completed a Masters Degree, clinical fellowship year (like a residency year for a doctor), and is certified by the American Speech Language and Hearing Association (ASHA).

What's the difference between a Speech Therapist and a Speech-Language Pathologist?

Usually nothing, the terms are often used interchangeably, but be careful, some individuals who are not certified will call themselves a "speech therapist" rather than an SLP as a disclaimer that they are not ASHA certified.

What is the difference between speech and language?

Speech refers to the way we talk, the articulation of sounds. Language is much broader and refers to the thinking, understanding, and expression we use to communicate. Language involves what we say, whereas, speech is strictly how we say it.

What is the difference between feeding and swallowing?

Feeding often refers to younger children who are experiencing aversion to foods (picky eaters), which may be due to sensory integration issues or oral motor issues. Swallowing tends to be across all ages and refers to the actual eating process from the lips to the stomach, which has many safety and nutritional implications. As Speech-Language Pathologists we treat both feeding and swallowing problems. They often occur independently but can coexist.

Do you take the medical card?

Yes, new legislation was passed July 1, 2008, which now allows private practitioners to bill Medicaid, and we do not have any waiting lists.